It’s that time of year again. No, I’m not talking about the holidays. Although, time is going to seem to disappear over the course of the next three months with Holloween, Thanksgiving and then Christmas and not to mention any birthdays that fall in between that. I’m exhausted just thinking about it! What I am talking about NaNoWriMo. I know, some of you have no clue what I’m talking about. While others of you know exactly what I mean and will seemingly disappear off the face of the earth trying to up your word count for the month. Since disappearing for thirty days is out of the question for me here are my goals during NaNoWriMo.
1. Write Every Day I don’t care if it’s 5 words or 5,000 words. I will write every day. Even if it’s just a brainstorm of ideas. At this point, anything will move me forward in book 2.
2. Now Is NOT The Time For Edits This one is going to be the hardest for me. I vow to not re-read, edit, or try to write the perfect first draft. Great! Why am I doing this again?
3. Mentor It helps to have someone on your side checking in on you and seeing where you word count is. Let’s help each other. We could all use a cheerleader
4. Don’t Think, Just Write Sometimes it seems as if I think too hard about certain scenes. Would she really say that? Would he really do that? Would this really happen? Well, it is my story (actually my character’s story) so, if they say so, then yes to all the above. I will just let the words flow. What ever gets typed can always be revised come December.
5. Social Media While in NaNo mode, I may have to hide from social media. While I won’t avoid it all together, I will try and stay away from it most of the day. We’ll see how well I stick to this plan, but it’s worth a try! If you need me, PM me and I’ll get the message.
What’s your NaNo plan?